This morning’s TransLink announcement is most welcome to the vast numbers of people who use SkyTrain and Canada Line to get from here to there.
80 new cars, all to be in service by 2020.
- 28 Expo and Millennium line cars by early 2019;
- 28 additional Expo and Millennium line cars by the end of 2019 – three years ahead of schedule; and
- 24 Canada Line cars by the end of 2020.
The total investment for the 80 new cars is $298 million: $210 million for the 56 Expo and Millennium Line cars and $88 million for Canada Line. The purchase of the new cars is funded through the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund (PTIF). PTIF is funded by the Government of Canada at 50 per cent, Province of British Columbia at 33 per cent and TransLink at 17 per cent.
We expect the additional 80 SkyTrain cars will increase capacity by about:
- 10 per cent for Expo Line;
- 23 per cent for Millennium Line; and
- 30 per cent for Canada Line.
This results in a total of 8,200 additional spaces per peak hour on both directions on all three SkyTrain Lines.