Arthur C. Nelson in Reshaping Metropolitan America made the demographic case that redevelopment of low-density commercial buildings – largely in the suburbs — could meet all of the US new housing needs in the coming decades.
Here’s why the postwar suburbs are good candidates for repair:
• Better connectivity.
• Narrower, more walkable streets.
• Closer to downtown.
• Inclusion of low-value commercial strips.
• Rich in small-lot housing.
• Demographic appeal.
• They are everywhere.
• Incremental development opportunities.
• Potential for combining suburban and urban qualities.
• Existing assets.
• On-street parking.
Get the details here, with some form-based suggestions on how to do it.
You may have noticed there are only 11 reasons. The 12th is for some of you to suggest.