Polly Ng sends a missive from Surrey:
Surrey is a finalist in the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) Earth Hour City Challenge, a contest between cities around the world to be the urban climate champion. Part of this Challenge is the People’s Choice award, where anyone can vote for their favourite city among the 17 global finalists.
We should all get behind Surrey. The City is leading an ENERGYShift to tackle climate change and increase local energy security. It is positioning itself as a leader in sustainability and climate responsibility by:
• building complete communities and green buildings;
• diverting organic waste from the landfill that in the future will be converted into biofuel for green vehicles;
• encouraging active transportation and planning for light rail; and
• creating renewable energy infrastructure.
Vote for Surrey as the People’s Choice by doing any or all of the following:
• Voting directly here
• Posting images of how you think Surrey a climate action champion on Instagram and tagging them with #peopleschoiceSUR
• Submitting a suggestion on how Surrey could become even better.
The voting takes place February 15- March 15.