Join Michael: Support Viaduct Replacement
From Michael Alexander:
Dear friend of a vibrant Vancouver,
In February, the Mayor and Council will consider the next major step for creating a new neighbourhood at the top of False Creek to replace the Georgia and Dunsmuir viaducts.
This is a city building moment, like those that transformed the downtown peninsula.
I hope you will join me in supporting the Mayor’s leadership on this initiative. Below is a letter that would do that.
You have two opportunities:
• Mail me – firstname.lastname@example.org – with your name and email address, and I will add your endorsement to the letter to Mayor and Council.
• If your prefer to support in your own words, please send your email to email@example.com
Please feel free to forward this email to like-minded friends and colleagues.
Thank you for your interest,
Dear Mayor and Council,
It’s time for Vancouver to make a bold and visionary move to transform the north shore of False Creek.
It’s time for council to approve the replacement of the obsolete and underutilized Georgia and Dunsmuir viaducts, as proposed to council last July, with a new surface roadway system at the heart of a new, sustainable neighbourhood linking Yaletown and the downtown core with Chinatown, Strathcona and the new community emerging around the Olympic Village.
The benefits to the city and its citizens are enormous, replacing the wasteland beneath and around the elevated structures with:
- new housing for thousands of families;
- new acres of parks and recreational facilities, including some that have been promised for two decades;
- reconnected neighbourhoods — Chinatown, CityGate, Strathcona, Grandview-Woodland — with access to new community amenities;
- vastly improved pedestrian and cycling routes, with better connections to greenways, transit, neighbourhoods and downtown;
- a logical and elegant surface road network that helps calm traffic on neighbourhood connector streets, and improves goods movement from the industrial flats to downtown and Clark Drive;
- environmental restoration of a significant portion of False Creek’s shoreline, and opportunities to restore natural elements to city life;
- an efficient and green neighbourhood connected to district energy facilities;
- locations for new cultural facilities, and public art.
What other opportunity since development of the False Creek lands offers so many benefits, with so much public approval?
It’s time to act. Please support Viaducts replacement.
TO ADD YOUR NAME TO THIS LETTER, PLEASE MAIL TO firstname.lastname@example.org, AND TYPE YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS. IF YOU WISH, ADD YOUR PROFESSIONAL IDENTIFICATION.
PLEASE FORWARD TO LIKE-MINDED FRIENDS AND COLLEAGUES.